Yep, guess it’s time to pick up the pace here at the little stray artist shop and begin a bit of a “blog”. Let’s see… Been working on a corbel. Sculpted one out of WED clay first…
He is a little gargoyle-ish creature standing on the corbel scroll base holding up what will eventually be one end of a wall shelf. Tried to keep him not too evil looking as not to terrify the little ones. Next stage was thirty coats of liquid latex and letting him cure a week after last coat.
Next was the mothermold. He needed to be a two-piece split down the middle so I built half a dam wall around him using WED clay as the center dam wall. I believe the latex will stretch completely off the entire piece once the mothermold is split apart. The removal of the mothermold off of arms and other undercut ledges of the piece got the old stray artist brain churning. Hopefully it works.
So… I poured the first half of the mothermold. Thing weighs a half ton….I rolled up a few one inch wide round balls of WED clay and cut them in half using them as register marks for when the second side is poured. These will become matching insets to help the two halves of the mothermold lock perfectly together later around the empty latex mold when casting. Here I have removed the dam from around the piece and cleaned it up revealing the first half of the mothermold with its recessed register marks and ready to dam up the second half of the mothermold.
So that’s where I am with my gargoyle corbel so far… See ya on the next post with the reveal of the first casting….